<$BlogRSDUrl$>

gustus elementa per omnia quaerunt

Sunday, November 20, 2005

Rosewater and Pistachio Crème Brûlée

rosewater and pistachio creme brulee

The desserts in An Extremely Good Dinner Party (the recounting of which has taken longer than the actual party).

A Crème Brûlée is really just a baked custard but with the addition of a crackly caramel crust on top to diffentiate it from boarding school delights (and no raisins - or a sausage if it's a chocolate cake and you're Jon). The caramel crust turned out to be a dissapointment when I made one ages ago: Crème Brûlée. This time I was well prepared with a brand new kitchen blowtorch that had only previously been used in ritual sacrifices [see here and here].

I kind of resent stumping up bucks for something which looks like a wizened twig so I though I'd try and use up a little more of the rosewater I had and thinking, as I usually do, about tasty turkish delights, pistachio. Fortunately I found a recipe for pistachio ice-cream that suggested grinding the pistachio nuts in a mortar and pestle and using rosewater to help it paste.

-blanch and peel about a third of a cup of unsalted pistachio nuts. Add one tablespoon of rosewater and grind in a mortar and pestle to a paste.

-separate 5 egg yolks and blend with a third of a cup of sugar, stir until blended.

-pour 500ml of double cream into a saucepan, add the pistachio paste and simmer over a medium heat for five minutes. You can add a little more rosewater to taste, factoring in the additional sweetness of the sugar. Strain.

-add the cream to the eggs and sugar slowly, gently stirring it in.

-pour the mixture into four remekins, filling to just below the rim.

-the ramekins in a roasting tray with enough warm water to reach half way up the ramekins. This allows for gentle cooking and you can cover the ramekins loosely with foil, but I didn't bother/forgot to no ill effect. Put in a 170c oven for about forty minutes. It's best to keep an eye on it, the edges should be firm with a bit of wobble left in the middle.

-refrigerate for at least a few hours. One of the adavantages of this dish is that you can make it the day before and bring it out of the fridge at the last minute.

-spinkle a tablespoon of sugar (I used raw sugar) over each ramekin and level it evenly. Ignite the blowtorch and work it over intil golden brown. You can do this under the griller but I had less than happy results or heat some brandy and flambé it (thanks to a commenter for that one), which I haven't tried.

torch

Desserts and presentation are my traditional weak area so presenting a dessert presents problems for me. If helping moving has its silver lining, its the new house has a mulberry bush so I nicked Nate's sandcastle bucket and grabbed a few. Sliced in half and placed on top. Then in a diamond around the ramekin, three mulberries, a piece of turkish delight, vodka cumquats, and a strawberry. The cumquats are from our little cumquat tree nad had been sitting in a jar with vodka and sugar for a few months - sliced. Andrea, the host, had bought the turkish delight so I nicked that. I was going to slice it but it's not an easy thing to do so I settled for a few slashes with the red oozing out onto the white icing sugar like it's been hit in a pub with a couple of razor blades. Strawberries were in my fridge and not being happy with a fan thought I'd go for a kind of faceted slice that reminds me of something engineery drawing. The slices were placed next to the strawberry. I was going to sprinkle icing sugar but it lacked the manly aspect that I'd been able to work into every other element, so I left it out.

T'asty, nice and very creamy centre, which it should have - using double cream probably giving it that extra bit of fatty velveteen. Not sure what I said below that was so funny, possibly "I've been working out" or "Should really cut back on my drinking" or something. Nice pic by Toni though who I think got an oi! what are you doing messing about with the camera from me. What a bum I am.

Terrible!

16 Comments:

Blogger Reid said...

Hi Anthony,

The crème brûlée sounds like it would be delicious. I like how rose water lends a certain aroma to food and I've used it when making baklava before.

BTW...nice kitchen torch. I was thinking about buying one the other day just so that I could make crème brûlée. In the meantime, I've been carmelizing the sugar using my toaster oven.

11/20/2005 07:04:00 pm

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Hi Reid

Toaster oven reminds me so much of Japan, it was our only oven for about 5 years.

Rosewater is strong stuff, I've still got most of a bottle to get through. I think you deserve a kitchen torch, go get one.

11/20/2005 09:12:00 pm

 
Blogger Stephanie said...

Sounds fantastic! And I think you did a wonderful job with the presentation...

11/21/2005 06:06:00 am

 
Blogger Ange said...

I too have a blowtorch - it has been sitting unused in my cupboard for several years now - your brulees look fantastic & I think I will have to give them a go soon!

11/21/2005 01:17:00 pm

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Ah bless ya Stephanie, I did surprise myself here, usually I've given up by desserts.

Lexy
I'd be lying if I said that I didn't have a girly side and given my love of women there's no wonder there's a lebanese influence here.

Ange
Get it out. Look at the bottom pic, before people laughed *at* me, now I've got a blow torch they're laughing *with* me (or else).

11/21/2005 03:08:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Summer heat

Lover wants to show me
How to make bread

He daubs in flour dust
On the kitchen table:
I (heart shape) U

The sun is shining
Through his boxer shorts
And he knows

Our old dog tiptoes past
His empty water bowl.

11/22/2005 02:31:00 am

 
Blogger Anthony said...

poems!

11/22/2005 07:23:00 am

 
Blogger aome said...

oh my gosh, that sounds delightful!

i'm a sucker for anything with pistachios and (if you'll remember from some comment i left long, long ago) rosewater

sorry i haven't visited in a while...but ooh, this was a good reason to come back! :)

11/23/2005 12:01:00 am

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Hey AoME

I was just kidding about the McGuffin thing. : )

Nice to have you back, I rarely make desserts and I've got a lot of rosewater to get through so expect a few more in the future

11/23/2005 08:08:00 am

 
Blogger aome said...

i can take a joke :)

and yay for deserts!

11/23/2005 10:38:00 am

 
Blogger Anthony said...

I suspected as much.

I've just discovered you can use rosewater in lassi

11/23/2005 04:56:00 pm

 
Blogger Jeanne said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11/23/2005 10:18:00 pm

 
Blogger Jeanne said...

I think you should use the photo in the first Spiceblog caption contest...!

Dear Lord, that dessert sounds and looks awesome. Like the dynamic tension between the girly presentation and the manly blowtorch. I am absolutely crap at presentation and totally run out of steam by the time we get to dessert anyway. Do you give masterclasses?? ;-)

11/23/2005 10:20:00 pm

 
Blogger Anthony said...

There is a caption in there somewhere. Yes the manly blowtorch tension, I am so flaming. If you make them the day before it's pretty easy for drunkened weary cooks. I find if I think of it not so much as presentation but composition it helps. As I'm a complete wanker, the only masterclasses I could teach would be in bation.

11/24/2005 02:19:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

read 100 recipes for cream brulee, yours looked easy, I am a lazy cook, cannot be bothered with anything that requires real effort.

discovered the delights of pistachio creme bruelee at a Nemo's restuarant in Miami, still thinking about making it 2 years later.

12/10/2005 03:52:00 am

 
Blogger Anthony said...

It's pretty straightforward. I'm pretty lazy myself when it comes to desserts so yeah give it a go and good luck

12/10/2005 08:17:00 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home