<$BlogRSDUrl$>

gustus elementa per omnia quaerunt

Thursday, June 24, 2004

Smoked Salmon and Potato Frittata

Frittata are the inflexible predecessors of omlettes and the easiest of all egg things to make - including boiled. I had 5 eggs so instead of two skinny omlettes, I made this from a look in the fridge. What I had were some smoked salmon pieces*. I also looked at a tub of sundried tomatoes but decided it'd overdo things and applied the less is more rule.

Being
5 Margaret River Free Range Eggs, handful of chopped smoked salmon, 2 grated potatoes, chopped parsley, 4 chopped spring onions, pepper, olive oil

Doing
Separated the egg whites, gave them a good whisking to aerate. Reunited the yolks, mixed and added the parsley and seasoned with a little pepper. In an ovenable cast iron frypan, I gently fried the spring onions until soft. Then, a mild heating and stir of the potatoes and salmon. In went the eggs, making sure they covered it all. Cooked gently until browned underneath then finished in the oven under the griller.

Nothingness
It was very very nice. And I use nice advisedly, it made me feel homely, earthy - I saw bits of moss between logs. Good. Easy. If I were back in my three recipes are all you need days, this would have been one of them.

*Attention shoppers: Innaloo fish markets do a good price on smoked salmon "bits".

5 Comments:

Blogger Jeanne said...

Hmmm. Smoked salmon and eggs in any form - yummy. There is a restaurant at home that serves eggs Florentine (I think!!) for breakfast - 2 poached eggs on a generous slice of smoked salmon topped with creamed spinach and hollandaise sauce. Breakfast was never the same for me after that...

Btw did you get my e-mail yesterday re. SA red wine?

6/24/2004 10:25:00 pm

 
Blogger Anthony said...

I get Florentine confused with the one with ham - benedict?

You could kill two birds with one stone and try salmon roe ikura - quite lovely.

Did get email, cheers for the advice, will need an excuse to try one - what day is it tomorrow, oh Friday excellent.

6/24/2004 10:47:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The potatoes really help the homeliness. There is something about the starchiness in combination with the egg which is very soothing.

- David

6/27/2004 02:48:00 am

 
Blogger Anthony said...

True. It's just reminded me about the German Farmer's Breakfast - speck, egg and potato.

6/27/2004 11:21:00 am

 
Blogger Fabiana said...

Thank you very much for posting this. I had smoked salmon an potatoes and wanted a dish to come before meat balls in Shabbat, when we are supposed to have a lot of fun eating. This frittata sounds like a lot of fun, and has no dairy.

10/06/2006 12:22:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home