<$BlogRSDUrl$>

gustus elementa per omnia quaerunt

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Peppered Rib-Eye

peppered rib-eye


One of those cook the steak and make a sauce in the pan things.

Ingredients
250gm rib eye (whole piece); 1 tbs of black pepper; 1tbs of szechuan pepper; 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped; same amount of rosemary finely chopped.

Crush the peppercorns roughly in a pestle and then put in a fine sieve to get rid of the powder. I'm not exactly sure why this is done but my theory is that pepper can get a bitter taste if burnt and in larger bits it's less likely to burn. Purely speculative of course. Baste the meat with some olive oil and roll it in the pepper mix, pressing down. Left to sit for two hours.

Get the heavy-based fry pan nice and hot. I used goose fat but any oil with high smoke point could be used. Because of the shape, I cooked it on all four sides and this took about 12 minutes in total to get it medium rare. During cooking you may need to reduce the heat to get that balance of cooked through without being burnt on the outside. It's a good ides to have the oven ready so if it's looking like it's going to be burnt on the outside, you can do the rest of the cooking in the oven. Remove and rest for 10 minutes.

Remove the burnt bits of pepper from the pan. Splash some brandy into the pan and burn off the alcohol (flambe for drama or just wait a minute). Stir in a few tablespoons of demi-glace (or more beef stock). I've got my demi-glace sitting in the freezer in those ice cube bags and just tore off a couple of cubes. Scrape the bottom of the pan and then whisk in a couple of tablespoons of butter.

Cut the rib eye in half. It was cooked through to medium-rare but because of the cut, it felt much rarer and I expected having to return it to the pan. Served on a rosti - made easier by a new rosti pan. Trimmed asparagus cooked in butter on top, then the steak, with the sauce poured on top with a side of roquet.

Can't say it wasn't superb but much of this was to do with the cut of meat. Costing more than any of the other cuts, it's a good argument for buying better and buying less. 125gm of steak each was more than sufficient and enough energy to catch Radio Birdman at the Concert Hall. Book 'em Danno.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So was Radio Birdman a good gig? Have they aged more like Iggy or the Stooges?

2/16/2006 09:27:00 am

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Pertinent comparison there Rob as did a rocking good version of "Search and Destroy" (or was it "Raw Power"). As with the Stooges, it's interesting what life does to people. The bassist looked like he had just stepped out of his managerial job, Deniz Tek was objectively rock hotness, and Rob Younger looked, well, older but had all the moves of a man who'd just dusted something good. Ears are still ringing and they're well aware of the go hard or go harm dictum. Bought the t-shirt.

2/16/2006 09:41:00 am

 
Blogger eat stuff said...

I know Rob Younger, I used to baby sit his 2 very cute kids :) They live behind my parents, and my mum works with his wife ;)

He is a really nice, but suprisingly quiet guy. With the largest LP collection I have ever seen.

2/16/2006 11:07:00 am

 
Blogger Joycelyn said...

hi anthony, innovative use of szechuan pepper - it's never occurred to me to do anything with szechuan pepper apart from make szechuan salt/pepper (which, incidentally, makes an excellent rub for chicken, quail, and the ilk). goose fat is another fabulous touch - do you render your own?

2/16/2006 11:46:00 am

 
Blogger Gracianne said...

Hi Anthony, same as J., I never used szechuan pepper with steack, usually black or green pepper. I will try it next time. Great picture, I just had my breakfast and I am already hungry just seeing it.

2/16/2006 04:49:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh yum I love peppered steak.
:-)

2/16/2006 09:35:00 pm

 
Blogger Stephanie said...

Looks bloody good to me!

2/16/2006 11:31:00 pm

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Hi tim
A bit of knowledge about the cuts helps so you can know whats the best for a slow braise for example. For me it's kind of hard to tell between quality bits of a cut si that's why it's good to rely on a butcher. If you ask a few questions and look a bit interested they'll usually see you right and if not don't go back. I should do a bit more research and I'd love to work in a butchers for a while.

Clare
That's amazing, he wasn't shy on stage but you'd be surprised what ootherwise quiet people can do with a mike in their hands. I'd imagine it's be close to my dream record collection, they've got impreccable inspiration.

J, G & M
The Szechuan peppercorns were beacues I've got a fair bit of it and thought I should try and use it. If I could have used rosewater I would have. The szechuan salt mix is great for a rub and I use it for flattened and deboned chicken (and I think once for deep fried small prawns but maybe not). Sadly I've no geese to render but I did keep the fat from a duck I cooked a while back and used that for the previous rosti. It's a lovely thing to cook with in place of clarified butter.

Mon
Cheers but this doesn't mean I'm doing the cocktail party.

mm
Bloody good. Yes. I'm still thinking about it.

2/17/2006 12:44:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh DAMM,

ok,ok, Flattery,that always works.

your hair is like lupin stubbel,
your eyes are likepools of wochester sauce,and your manliness like an ox,and you cook like a 4.5 star chef.

there will that do it, or do i need to try again at a later date.

2/17/2006 07:49:00 am

 
Blogger Anthony said...

If that's a 4.5 star on a Michlein three star scale then that's a good start. You'll see I've left a memo in the office.

2/17/2006 11:23:00 am

 
Blogger Ed Tep said...

I love pan-fried steaks! So many of my friends think that the only way you can cook steak is to grill it. So not true! I like to marinate my rib eyes in soy sauce for 15 minutes.

2/17/2006 11:30:00 am

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Hey Ed Tep

Yeah the close embrace of meat and metal trumps the wafty breath of heat any day. And you can deglaze a sauce out of it. I think it's the whole BBQ is man's work kinda hang up thing. Mind you, grilling is right tasty for thin korean style slices.
My fave marinade is blue cheese processed with beer.

Oh general tip I picked up last night, don't salt the meat until just before cooking it or it'll drag the moisture out.

2/17/2006 05:28:00 pm

 
Blogger Ange said...

Looks delicious & have some Szechuan peppercorns hanging around myself so will be able to put them to use now. Also agree on the cut of meat, most of the time I pick a great cut, simply grill it & serve it plain with a sprinkling of salt & it is delicious

2/20/2006 11:29:00 am

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Hey Ange
You should also try this from the archives : Roast Chicken with Szechuan Peppercorns. Easy and very nice.

It's great how satisfying a small amount of a good cut of meat can be. Did you know that restaurants sometime hammer out a t-bone to give the impression of awesome plate covering proprotions?

2/20/2006 11:43:00 am

 
Blogger Gracianne said...

Hi Anthony,
Just tried it, that was lovely, thank you!! I used double cream to deglaze the sauce, instead of butter, slow cooked potatoes in duck fat (from Christmas fois gras) with garlic, to go with it. My husband and I thank you for the idea!

2/20/2006 09:21:00 pm

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Hi Gracianne
That's great you tried it and I'm very happy it turned out well. Regards to your husband!

2/20/2006 10:26:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home