<$BlogRSDUrl$>

gustus elementa per omnia quaerunt

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Yallingup Woodfired Bread

Yallingup bread scalesIt amazes me how something as fundamental and important as bread could be so widespreadly crap. It's as if the miracle that is television were filled with shite programmes that were there just to give us the stingiest tweak of what in, a time of heroes, might be regarded as entertainment. I am inspired and I would now like to officially build up the hopes of candlemakers out there that they are next on the list for my affections.

Yallingup bread ovenThe bread is great, the simple breadmaking principles are sound and I'm sure the German baker there knows an extremely long German word that translates as: the possibility of creating an excellent product in accordance with one's principles and enjoying it, but I didn't ask. I wish I knew what it was. I would use it often.Much to nod your head at here. They don't bake at night because it's not worth it. The wheat is stone milled (in Corrigin!). The rye bread eschews the use of wheat for pliability. Inside, the natural light was filtering through, the smell of flour was everywheree, and the jarrah fired volcanic stone bread ovens were glowing for the afternoon. We may have to reconsider how "best" a thing sliced bread really was.

yallingup bread shelvesSpecial place, great bread. I bought two of the last few loaves. The rye was topped with boiled free-range eggs and some mashed avacado and served as an impromptu snack. The white "wave" loaf was had with ostrich pate and also used to soak up the gravy from the venison knuckle stew I made. More on that soon.

Yallingup Woodfired Bread is on the corner of Biddles and MacLachlan Road, Dunsbororough and word has it, is that it'll be available at the Freo markets soon.

Yallingup bread baker

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Use yours and show us a picture.

6/07/2005 09:53:00 pm

 
Blogger Anthony said...

eh?

6/07/2005 10:03:00 pm

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Bambi knuckle daube?

6/07/2005 10:19:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Use your loaf and show us a picture of the loaf. I was testing you cryptically. I failed and for that I apologise.

6/08/2005 12:04:00 am

 
Blogger akatsukira said...

Vorsprung durch Brot

6/08/2005 12:13:00 am

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Pieman

My fault entirely. I'm rubbish at other people's cryptic - innuendo filters too strong and I didn't take a a picture of the bread "could't take a picture of a loaf in a bakery" etc.

Bramble
I like it.

6/08/2005 07:27:00 am

 
Blogger Reid said...

Hi Anthony,

Venison knuckles stew? Ostrich pate? What will they think of next. Can't wait for the pics. =P

Food sounds interesting, and me, I'm always interested in a loaf of freshly baked bread. It's the one thing that I haven't made in ages.

6/08/2005 02:34:00 pm

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Reid
Welcome back! Word on the street is "horse manure pie" - you heard it from me. Last time I made bread was around when Kurt Cobain shot himself. Not that I'm saying the two are in any way related.
Ben
It's a three hour each-way drive from mine so I'm not that dedicated I guess. I compensate by making pancakes or smothering my toast with bacon to hide the taste.
Ha! on the exotic loaves, reminds me of Japanese "special season beers".

6/08/2005 03:51:00 pm

 
Blogger Barbara said...

I discovered this bread a couple of years ago on a visit to Augusta. I bought the bread in a shop in Margaret River and so was impressed I convinced the family we should drive to Yallingup to get more (visiting a few wineries on the way of course).

6/08/2005 07:30:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooops - should read "was so"

6/08/2005 07:32:00 pm

 
Blogger Anthony said...

I might have found it in a similar way myself. The other times I've been there though no-one was there, just some bread and a basket to put your money in.

I think the "so was impressed" works in a kind of valley girl way.

6/09/2005 12:16:00 pm

 
Blogger kath red said...

mmmmmmm nothing better than wood fired bread. my hubby makes us some every weekend and it sure beats the hell out of that store bought crap.
my hubby can be found at handyprojects.blogspot.com with his mud oven baking extravaganzas.

6/15/2005 09:59:00 am

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Hey that's great Aussie food blogs popping up everywhere. Something on this very soon.

6/16/2005 07:52:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

these breads are also delivered daily by the baker to jones fine foods in Margaret River main street(next to Dome)mmmmmmmmm!

10/25/2005 01:43:00 pm

 
Blogger lawny said...

lucky to sample with breakfast at "bunkers" cafe, Bunker Bay; excellent food and service. Was able to buy loaves at Yallingup General Store to bring home. Fantastic bread and am hoping to be able to source closer to Perth but worth the drive.

5/04/2009 09:15:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home