<$BlogRSDUrl$>

gustus elementa per omnia quaerunt

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Non-Food Book Meme

bookshelfsmall

His Lordship of Strathmore has popped me in a cradle, punched a yellow GG1 tag in my ear and sent me on my way. How could I refuse a vice regal Book meme request and pleasure of being in fine tagee company.

1) Total number of books I've owned:
I didn't say I could count. Large pic of most of the survivors is here.

2) The last book I bought:
Russian Criminal Tattoo Encyclopedia

3) The last book I read:
Actually finished?
One for the Money Janet Evanovich
When I'm at the bookstore I usually buy two books. One I think I should read and one I read.

4) 5 books that mean a lot to me:
The Reader's Digest Book of Strange Stories and Amazing Facts
-
an early source of wonder.
The Washington Connection and Third World Fascism Noam Chomsky, Edward S. Herman
- oh good morning Princess.
The Collected Works of Oscar Wilde
-
my best and worst qualities.
Gravity's Rainbow Thomas Pynchon
-geeky, pacey, sharp, sexy
Love and Rockets - Jaime Hernandez
-bilingual and biontological

5) Tag 5 people and have them fill this out on their blogs:
I'll be doomed but I'll have to park this bus here, having already memed people this week. But if you mailed me and told me that I invited you, I'd probably believe it.

Ah apparently
-Dispensing Happiness up!
-apple of my eye up!
-Shina (in comments for now)
-The Daily Magnet (in comments)
-Lex Culinaria up!

This is of course cookbook free. The meme of which is ticking along very nicely.

12 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

I'll do it! Matt and I are a dangerous combination in a book store...and we are rapidly running out of shelf space. This will be interesting...

5/18/2005 11:37:00 pm

 
Blogger aome said...

me too! :)

your blog makes me want to eat and eat and eat and eat...

5/19/2005 12:08:00 am

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Hey good on ya Stephanie. Dangerous because you buy ice-creams before going in?

aome - just read it. great choices and a great laugh.

Eat! is good. (To be honest your blog makes me want to come over and slap people.)

5/19/2005 07:20:00 am

 
Blogger Stephanie said...

And it's up...

5/19/2005 11:32:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1) Never tried to count. Not so much because I don't have bookshelves (put books on used wood boxes of apple/wine). And sell some if I thought it's needless.

2)magazine. But borrowed 5 books from library yesterday: Haruki Murakami, Shunishiro Tanikawa, Natsume Soseki, and Alex Shearer.

3)Mmm forgotten. I like autobiography and non-fiction. Maybe I finish reading these kind of books soon.

4)
Goodbye Tsugumi - Banana Yoshimoto
Kitchen- Banana Yoshimoto
Body And Soul- Anita Roddick
Slightly Out Of Focus- R.Capa
Desert Flower- Waris Dirie

...Simply moved by these great stories.

5)
Umm...I'll try to when I finished my blog's renewal. :)

5/19/2005 06:24:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

!

Sorry it's me --- shina >゜))))彡

5/19/2005 06:25:00 pm

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Yay Steph

and thanks Shina >'(((((<

When's your blog going to be ready?

5/19/2005 09:17:00 pm

 
Blogger The Daily Magnet said...

Wow - the Russian Criminal Tattoo Encyclopedia sounds pretty interesting - do you know where one could source a copy, much less complicated to view the hard copy, rather than individual by individual. I am looking for a new tatt and they have a great shamanic influence in that region. I am not sure I am game to reveal these sorts of details on my blog - best stick to the secure environs of Spiceblog I think. So, for the record...

1.Haven't kept count, impossible once you've homeschooled and have kids - forgeddaboudit!

2.manufacturing consent:The Political Economy of the Mass Media[Chomsky&Herman]

3.The Electronic Whorehouse[Paul Sheehan]

4. Watching the Detectives[Deborah Locke], Not for Publication[Chris Masters], Roll on brave bloody new world[Orr&Leunig], Complete Collection of Maya Angelou, Matthew Ricketson: Best Australian Biographies.

5/19/2005 09:46:00 pm

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Hi L

Spiceblog is always discrete.

I picked it up in Tokyo so don't know if you could buy it here (were it Russian Criminal Home Decorating by Bryce Courtenay though). If not, you could always borrow it. It's an intriguinging book but I don't know if an orthodox cross of skulls with the inscription

"North-Eastern Corrective Labour Camps Administration of the NKVD GULAG. Curse you Kolyma, which is known as the plague planet, it drives you mad, From here there is no way out"

but then again. The coding of hand tatoos is pretty interesting but offset against some apalling racism and mysogyny.

Ahh Chomsky, could never work out why his basic premise of our abuses are more important than their abuses, was so hard for some people. Still, when the pom poms are out.

5/20/2005 07:40:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll do it. I have a long weeked starting in about6 hours so will have hours and hours of baking (in the oven), baking (in the soun) and blogging to do.

5/21/2005 12:47:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Argh. Why am I such a bad typist? that should have read "sun" I don't know what a "soun" is, and I sure as heck don't know whether I want to bake in it!

5/21/2005 12:54:00 am

 
Blogger Anthony said...

I think a "soun" is a kind of Moroccan ceramic camp oven.

Don't forget your sun cream.

5/21/2005 08:12:00 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home