<$BlogRSDUrl$>

gustus elementa per omnia quaerunt

Sunday, April 24, 2005

IMBB#14 - Nori and Buckwheat Blinis with Ikura and Tobiko with Wasabi Crème Fraîche

orangegrass

Orange. This month's theme by Foodgoat of "Orange you hungry?" for Is My Blog Burning? #14 nabbed my attention because orange is my favourite colour. I can't say if the colour's link with schizophrenia go further than anecdotal but it's hard not to feel some kind of disconnect with reality as we see the gains of the last century being frittered away and the kitchen.. what's that Mr Smeg? I should go on? Very well.

orangejsbxorange

Ikura (salmon roe) are spherical wonders. The pleasure of the translucent orange and the glossy sheen is matched only by the slight resistance to the bite of the membrane before it releases the amniotic fluids. They are like Paul Smith cuff-links in bubble wrap. Tobiko (flying fish roe) is nearly as pretty but has a grittier texture. I would have been happy just to pop them on a spoon, take a piccie and be done with it but since I've cooked about three things in as many weeks, I'd best do the thing with heat.

Blinis are fine slavic treats to have with roe and I've been feeling very slavic of late, no idea why. They are yeasty pikelets for people with too much time on their hands. I would adapt them by using buckwheat as a Japanese influence (it's what's in soba noodles) but soon find a recipe with buckwheat already in it. Nori then.

Blini Mix
orangeblini1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast; 1 cup milk (warmed); 1 cup all purpose flour; 1 cup buckwheat flour; 3 free-range eggs; 1 teaspoon salt; 1/2 cup milk.

Let the yeast dissolve in with the luke-warm milk and them mix in it with the flour. Cover with a tea-towel and leave in a warm place for two hours. Punch it down and then mix in the egg yolks and the rest of the milk. It should be smooth, but still light. Add the salt to the egg whites and beat to stiff peaks and fold into the mix.


The nori was three toasted sheets rolled together and cut into narrow strips with kitchen scissors and then mixed in. From here you need a blini pan but as I don't have one, I used a biscuit cutter as a mould. Browned a little on both sides, you could see the thin strips of nori just below the surface.

orangeside

To stop the roe rolling off, I bought some King Island Crème Fraîche. The intention was to blend it with uni (sea urchin). No luck getting any so I thought I'd try just a sprinkle of wasabi powder and mix it in. Unwilling to gamble completely on this taste combination, I made a trio of wasabi, plain, and mixed wiith the tobiko. Finally I thinly sliced up some sashimi salmon for extra orange credentials and because it's nice to eat and added some garnish of orange rind.

The eating was simplicity and the verdict is pleasant and interesting. Neither the nori or the wasabi overwhelmed but perhaps needing a splash of something citric or a nice bottle of a dry sparkling white. Yes.

orangefullsetting


That was quick:Foodgoat ... something tasty every day: Is My Blog Burning #14: Hot Orange on Orange Action!!

12 Comments:

Blogger santos. said...

who needs cooking when you have this? orange foods seems good in their most natural of states. what cd case did you defile?

4/25/2005 12:09:00 pm

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Nature's booty.

Oh go on, take a guess.

4/25/2005 12:40:00 pm

 
Blogger santos. said...

oh right. you and your blues explosion. i think js was crowned one of the "sassiest boys in america"....

4/25/2005 01:32:00 pm

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Take a whiff of his pant leg baybuh!

4/25/2005 02:43:00 pm

 
Blogger Reid said...

Hi Anthony,

Ikura huh? Interesting. I should have used uni. I think I saw them use it on one of those Iron Chef shows. Someone made dessert with it.

BTW...it all looks delicious.

4/25/2005 07:03:00 pm

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Reid

Yeah they're nice, didn't even know they existed before I went to Japan. Uni is good to but there's a pretty sharp drop between good uni and bad uni. Not the first thing I'd think of for dessert but nice creamy texture though.

It didn't taste too bad.

4/25/2005 08:47:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I miss ikura... great photos as always!

4/26/2005 04:50:00 am

 
Blogger Anthony said...

AG
Very good for stress I find.

Keiko
No ikura in Sussex? Ah well, we have to have our pining foods.
Appreciate the compliment given the standard of your own pics.

4/26/2005 08:09:00 am

 
Blogger Avatar said...

Anthony, your creativity is truly inspiring.

4/28/2005 08:15:00 am

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Ahh avatar [blush]. I stand on the shoulders of giants of quality like yourself.

4/28/2005 10:56:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man! I've been a sucker for roe on blinis since a friend treated me to russian caviar about 6 years ago. More recently (and I highly recommend) when you're bored out of your brain at Heathrow terminal 4 you attend the Caviar Bar and suck down some of the litte suckers - no blinis but the roe (from somewhere Nordic I can't remember) had me orgasming with delight! I am duly enraptured with your post...

4/29/2005 07:02:00 am

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Frog in the Pond

It's a great pleasure to see such enthusiasm. I love roe and that they managed to place orgasm and Heathrow together in the same sentence reminds us just how exceptional they are.

More joy to be had here.

4/29/2005 07:42:00 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home