<$BlogRSDUrl$>

gustus elementa per omnia quaerunt

Saturday, September 18, 2004

Retro Betty's, Leederville



Look at it. What do you see? Do you see a sugary bun that yields like wettex to limp lettuce and grey beef that leaves a trace on your mouth like your toothbrush had been dipped in the fat trap? Would you get half way through it and wonder what you were thinking?

A dollar or two more than shit, and you'll miss out on reconstituted salt and grease sticks and fizzy caffeinated sugar swill. We've lost a few great burger places in Perth through sanitised mediocrity. Well apostrophied Retro Betty's is a blessing.

More good stuff that evening. You'll not see a more violent, funny, tragic, thrilling, and beautiful film than Zatoichi. Kitano is a genius who loves his films and makes them how he wants with people he likes. I could go on and on about this but if you'll excuse me, I'm off to practice tap dancing in my geta.

Retro Betty's, 127 Oxford Street, Leederville
Zatoichi is on at the Luna.
Evan Williams smokes goats.

8 Comments:

Blogger tokyo goat said...

looks a bit better than MOS BA-GA- or friggin' Lotteria

9/18/2004 11:28:00 am

 
Blogger Reid said...

Hi Anthony,

Looks like a great burger there! I'm no expert, but I do love burgers...

Zatoichi huh? Haven't heard about those films in a while. They used to show them on the local Japanese channel all the time. Ever watch Abarenbo Shogun? Love that show!

9/18/2004 01:24:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love those burgers. The waitresses aren't too uninviting either, now that I think about it.

~Mark

9/19/2004 02:47:00 am

 
Blogger Anthony said...

- I miss rice burgers
- they really are up there
- yep, once I picked the capsicum out.Pineapple, sprouts and lettuce. I've never seen the original Zatoichi but the Kitanos one, unless you're a haemophobe, is great. Should be on DVD in the states by now. Abarenbo Shogun was great daytime viewing - the commitment to formula was amazing. There was only one plot and all the baddies attacked one by one, proving even evil doers are well mannered in Japan
- no, they've had a refit to a bit ledd kitschy which is sad.
- mens day but the waiter did have a very fitting Ramones hairstyle.

9/19/2004 07:42:00 am

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Wait this must be a set-up... oh alright then, I *relished* the experience.

9/19/2004 09:53:00 pm

 
Blogger obachan said...

Hi Anthony,

I haven't seen Kitano's Zatoichi yet, but heard about the tap dance. Be careful when you practice.... your geta might fly in the air and hit someone. I like Abarenbo Shogun better. >Reid

9/20/2004 10:54:00 pm

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Hi Obachan
Hmm god point on the geta. I did do very drunkened dancing in a pair once and they make a very big noise which made me keep going. I don't know why I didn't fall over and break my ankle but I think god of drunkards (ebisu?) was protecting me.

9/21/2004 03:34:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i wish i was me. what a mad guy.

2/11/2006 11:53:00 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home