<$BlogRSDUrl$>

gustus elementa per omnia quaerunt

Thursday, August 19, 2004

Suspect Device



No, not the cover photo of my new novel RUC & IUDs, a gripping fast-paced tale of forbidden cross-denominational love in Northern Island.

It is, rather, evidence of research done a couple of months ago after I worked out there are very good reasons for serving beer in glasses way back here in May. Like any late convert, when a friend offered me the latest Guiness in a bottle, I demanded a glass. "No" he said, "it doesn't need one". He was right, so we smashed open the bottle top have a look at the widget inside, took a photo with his camera. The photo came a few weeks ago.

I'm going to be a bit a priori (read lazy) about this and offer the following explanation. The widget creates a tunnel in the flow to the mouth allow the flavour to breathe and open up, just as happens in a glass. I went on to imagine that the wings create a hydrodynamic effect like a turbine. But then considered the less exciting, but more important function of preventing the widget becoming lodged in the throat.

11 Comments:

Blogger Natalie said...

I don't care how clever Guiness think they are, you cannot drink it out of a bottle or can. It must be pored into a glass and left to settle.

Hmpn.

8/19/2004 08:27:00 pm

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Alright alright. Had to go down to the spicecave and do some further research. Bought the offending bottle and poured half into a glass and left the other half in the bottle and drank both.

Results: There isn't the anticipatory whiff from the bottle as from the glass but the bottle taste improves if you don't drink it with lips locked around it like a straw but just with the bottom lip resting on the bottle (or else it'll run down your shirt). A win for the glass, but further testing is needed with the can vs the bottle and then the old bottle with the new bottle. Tough dirty work lucky I've got a day off tomorrow.

8/19/2004 09:04:00 pm

 
Blogger Dave said...

I noticed with these nitro devices, if you pour it in a glass, all is not wasted. Still get the nice "draught" appearance. I've only had it in a pub once (in Maidstone) and nothing will beat the real thing in the right setting.

8/19/2004 11:35:00 pm

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Ahh the widget. As opposed to the widget. Mustn't be a lot of back-yard mechanics in Ireland.

Did a taste off with the whooshing-widget thing as well last night - not a noticable different to taste in a glass to the bottle in a glass. Putting my marketing hat on, I'm assuming the bottle is the clubber's Guiness as they were having troubles with the slow pace of the pour of the Draft - less stimulants and more barbituates might have been an alternative solution.

8/20/2004 09:48:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This 'next' bar at the top does suck things up a bit...

I can't think of a meme I haven't already done as yet, but something is bound to come up. Maybe we should do a monthly version of the Friday 5?


~Mark

8/20/2004 12:37:00 pm

 
Blogger Anthony said...

"Friday 5s"?

8/20/2004 12:51:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't believe them
Don't believe them
Don't be bitten twice
It needs to be poured in a glass.

;)

Sean @
http://sfd.typepad.com

8/22/2004 09:26:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

: )

Sharp as barbed wire Sean. A good chance to give high praise on the haiku recipe. I was going to comment but didn't want my greasy typeprints all over perfection

8/22/2004 01:28:00 pm

 
Blogger Anthony said...

That anonymous person right above was me.
What the hell is going on with blogger these days!

8/22/2004 01:45:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thx you, thx you....

frankly, I'm relieved to know that someone appreciated the haiku. I was concerned that the silence represented fear for my sanity ;)

~Sean

8/25/2004 07:09:00 am

 
Blogger Anthony said...

hushed admiration old bean, hushed admiration.

8/25/2004 05:56:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home