<$BlogRSDUrl$>

gustus elementa per omnia quaerunt

Monday, August 09, 2004

Leek and Potato Soup

Pseudo-ephedrine has its uses but it's at cross-purpose to how colds should be treated so I'm resorting to folk remedies. The Japanese will wrap negi, the slender cousin of the leek, around their necks to cure colds. Unfortunately the side effects include excessive humiliation so the leek becomes a soup. I've added garlic as a catholicon.

ingredients:1 leek-sliced finely (white and green parts); 4 large potatoes- peeled and chopped; a cup of chopped sweet potato; 3 cloves of garlic- minced; 1 carrot - diced; bacon bones; 4 small handful of parsley-coarsely chopped; butter; salt and pepper

If the leek is sliced lengthwise first you can get a good look at the leaves to see if all the dirt has been rinsed out (apologies if you've never done this before). It's then thinly sliced and softened gently with the butter. The garlic was added in the time it took to mince it. The carrot was an aromatic addition.

I wasn't sure about using the bacon bones but they are a bargain and I used them instead of commercial stock. They were put in a litre or so of cold water to sit and let the flavour work its way out. By the time the leeks et.al had softened (about 20minutes) the water and the bones were added. In too went the parsley and the pot was left to gently simmer for 40 minutes.

I was thinking of Jerusalem artichokes for a twist but there weren't any at the shops so I just added some thin sweet potatoes I had in the cupboard. They were added with the potato to the soup and left to simmer until cooked.

Then it was just a matter of removing the bones, waving the bamix wand around to puree it roughly and seasoning to taste.

Tasting
This was overloaded by traditional standards but muted in terms of strong/rich flavour components like stock, or the cream with crispy bacon bits that I've seen around. The resulting taste had just enough spaces to encourage investigation and thoughtfulness about it all. I feel better already.

4 Comments:

Blogger santos. said...

i have some garlic flavoured candy that supposedly helps colds. you want?

8/09/2004 09:09:00 pm

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Ermm thanks but ummm I'm kind of full. Good for you for giving it a go though.

8/09/2004 09:45:00 pm

 
Blogger FXH said...

I would have thought the bacon bones are a bit of overkill. I save them for the split pea and ham.

I even go easy on the garlic in leek and potato soup. Not even sure about sweet potato. I just do one clove of garlic, a lot of leeks, a fair bit of spuds, salt cook up to mushy. divide into thirds. bamix thingo in one third to ultra smooth. another third semi smooth. last third leave chunky. mix back together. before serving add some milk and a bit of sour cream. chunk of butter in middle of bowl. cracked fresh pepper in bowl. slurp up.

8/09/2004 11:20:00 pm

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Francis

I worried about that too and even thought of parboiling them like lardons to reduce the smokiness but decided to forgo the stock instead.
The post needs some clarification, you may be thinking of the ham/bacon hocks where the meat becomes part of the soup. The bacon bones are quite lean of meat and none comes off so the taste is quite subtle.
The garlic did border on travesty but I had a cold and the longer and more gently it is sauteed, the gentler the flavour becomes.
You've the texture admirably systemised, I just went for a bit of a lazy wave after I'd done my usual trick of flinging the soup all over the counter.

8/10/2004 08:53:00 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home