<$BlogRSDUrl$>

gustus elementa per omnia quaerunt

Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Giant Oyster Mushroom with Venison Prosciutto



The mystery mushroom is a giant oyster mushroom (domo domo santos for woah! MushWorld). It reminded me of the $30 a pop matsutake and how in ad world they'd be grilled over charcoal, amongst autumn leaves, and washed down with Kirin Ichiban Shibori.

No such time luxury so second choice was that I really liked enoki mushrooms wrapped in bacon. Handily I still had some venison prosciutto from my trip down south that I could use instead. This left me choosing between Italian and Japanese for the additional flavour and I settled on olive oil.

Cooking
Wrapped the mushrooms with the prosciutto, a bit of oil under in the dish, a little more on top and then put in a 170C oven, letting the prosciutto get crispy for 10 minutes. It was then covered with foil to keep the moisture in and cooked for another 25 minutes.

Eating
Mushrooms have very characterstic tastes and seem to have their own unique textures. They gave off a lovely honey smell but the taste lacked enough meatiness to counteract the sponginess. I'd like to try them just with soy but I think the answer lies in a smaller bite, perhaps by slicing them lengthwise.

Desperate Restaurant notes: The Asian mushroom is given a fresh Italian fusion approach with the use of prosciutto and extra virgin olive oil. Venison gives that perfect dash of huntsman exotica with a bold stroke of antler virility. Linear forms match with curves. Earthy tones hint at winter. Crunch meets mush.

5 Comments:

Blogger Natalie said...

You can slice them paper-thin length ways, lightly sauted, drained with a touch of Ketjap Manis or light soy.

(ps this new blogger comment login is.. uh... new!)

:)

how does it know which of my blogger weblogs to link to? That is the question!

8/05/2004 12:26:00 pm

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Hey pixelkitty, welcome to comments, any good work with muffins recently? Ta for the tastily delivered suggestion and I'm extra chuffed you validated my hunch.

Gah Blogger comments system. Once you're in the system it's not too bad, but a pain if you ain't. The one advantage is that it discourages aggrieved readers or at least gives them a chance to cool down.

Linking to your blog. I'd suggest just posting a link with your comment. And any anonymous commenters out there - ditto for you (or at least a name, down't even have to be a real one). One of the advantages of blogger is you can have a "Blog This" bookmark and paste the hyperlink into comments.

8/05/2004 01:25:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to bookmark this one. I don't think I've ever seen venison prosciutto before, I'll keep an eye out for it.

David
staypuff.net

8/05/2004 07:21:00 pm

 
Blogger Anthony said...

David

It's from Margaret River Venison and it isn't too bad. If you decided to pack the car and head south, they're worth calling in to. They don't mind a bit of sampling and their sausages are pretty good, though I had to say no at the dried ermm you know... that ermmm *cough*.

8/05/2004 09:12:00 pm

 
Blogger Natalie said...

One of the worse things about Blogger Comments, is it gives a 404 when you first click Post A Comment, and have to be cluey (I am so smart) enough to hit refresh.

I miss watching the Avon Descent. Has the water level risen much since I was looking at the rocks in amongst the tea trees 3 weeks ago? There was no water at all in that section. But there was some further down stream.

Your risotto recipe sounds very nice indeed, pity I only have electric. Roll on summer, where I will be out on the balcony cooking on the gas bbq all the time.

8/06/2004 08:01:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home