<$BlogRSDUrl$>

gustus elementa per omnia quaerunt

Sunday, September 10, 2006

A weekend which ended with a duck egg and blue cheese risotto

duck egg risotto

There's a food ritual in our house which goes like "(Me)What do you want for breakfast?", "Anything", "Nah go on what do you want?", "Just some toast", "Ah... just some toast?", "Yes", "Just toast?", "Yes", "Well was thinking of having poached eggs on rye bread with hollandaise." There's also my "would you like me to do the dishes routine" but that's for another day.

lime hollandaise

So hollandaise it was, and it's not that tricky, and I added the juice of half a lime and had with spinach which makes it Eggs Florentine and kinda healthy. Then off to Mr Snippy's Barber Shop where he was kind enough to offer me a nice cold Coopers Red. Gorgeous day, smashing haircut, and a morning bevvy and I was in fine form for a bit of bicycle chain shopping "You know how to fit it" , "Yep", "And you've got the right tools" "Ah yep", "And one of these things (bit of loopy wire)", "Yeah yeah of course", "Make sure it's not too tight", "No No". Of course these were complete lies but I find it hard to admit not being able to do stuff, especially manly mechanical stuff. And anyway I'm now the proud owner of a chainbreaker and a bit of loopy wire which I bought at another shop.

blue sheep cheese

On to the Ginger Pig in Angove Street to drop off a couple of mags. It's a lovely little food shop and I came out with some Raw (unpasteurised) French Sheep's Blue Cheese and some Morbier (which has a line of ash in the middle), two duck eggs (a nearby shop owner has ducks and they deliver them fresh), and a jar of local handmade OohLala Coconut and Lime Curd. I went to a cheese night at Herdies Fresh where Catherine Ferrari, whose family has been importing cheese for decades, talked us through some Italian, French and Irish Cheese so I was a bit evangelised on the two good cheeses and no fruit salad approach to cheeseboards. It's also a complete pain in the arse to get cheese into Australia so show a bit of gratitude.


No point leaving it to sit it in the fridge so I took it over to a friend's place for some drinking and spirited Play Station Guitar Hero playing (Iron Man/ More Than a Feeling/ Smoke on the Water/ Wanna be Sedated/ Take me Out - all with dab mastery of the maneuver dubbed "rooting the wombat"). I must have this game. The sheep cheese was strong like Black Sabbath yet delicate like Boston and creamy like erm Cream.

Dim Sum for brekky in Northbridge and a day of sloth. Toni went off to buy some folders which I took as "going to buy some folders but secretly going off to buy me Guitar Hero to surprise me and make me the happiest boy in the world" but she really was just going to buy folders and apparently the thought hadn't even crossed her mind.

duck eggs

Now what to do with some leftover sheep's cheese and duck eggs. Both were the stronger less popular siblings of the more popular cow's cheese and chicken eggs so they made a good pair. I'd made some chicken stock the day before (nice one too - it's always good when it turns easily to jelly in the fridge) so blue cheese risotto it was. Your standard risotto with chopped shallots and pancetta and some fried spring onion and the blue cheese and parmesan reggiano mixed in at the end.

The fired duck egg was on top was because I like Nasi Goreng and the yolk was kept runny and mixed in with the hot risotto. Lovely, a very fancy eggy rice.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

All looks damn tasty... blue cheese risotto and duck egg... sounds stupendously rich.

I must visit this Ginger Pig you speak of...

9/11/2006 08:43:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How'd they get the raw cheese in? Was it local or have the laws suddenly been relaxed?

9/11/2006 11:05:00 am

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Hey Matt
Wasn't the ahhh my mouth can't cope my heart rich as I expected, I think the stodge factor of the risotto mellows things out.
Yeah Ginger Pig just in North Perth near the Rosemount. Not heaps of stuff but what they do have is really good.

Kate
Apparently you can get some raw cheese in now but it's a real effort and also Australian cheesemakers can't sell unpasteurised cheese. You'd think there were more pressing threats in the world but no.

9/11/2006 11:31:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh Toni, she's my hero!! LOL

then again, you're my hero, too, Anthony. :-)

9/11/2006 05:43:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds delightful, this kinda fancy eggy rice would go down a treat on a cold night like tonight!

9/12/2006 04:21:00 pm

 
Blogger Gracianne said...

Another lovely way to use raw cheese. I have just received a lovely present of farmer's goat cheese from friends, I could try an mail you some in exchange for a copy of Spice mag, but the customs are sure to stop them at the border, they smell so good :)

9/12/2006 08:23:00 pm

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Chika
But I want to be a GUITAR hero : (

Ellie
Mmmm yeah

Gracianne
I was a bit worried using it like this -you know water in single malt type worries. But I'd had some as it was and thought I'd try something different with it.
Customs would send me off to some secret prison somewhere for getting raw goats cheese - worse than heroin. Could I post myself to your friend's place.

9/13/2006 07:31:00 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home