<$BlogRSDUrl$>

gustus elementa per omnia quaerunt

Sunday, September 04, 2005

A week of week - Kaiseki Workshop; Perth Blog Awards; More Jackson's

Another week. My fanciful blog life has become real and as you're probably all thinking, it is like the uncontrollable materialisation of desires by a machine left by a long extinct ancient civilisation. So here we go:

Comestibles Kaiseki Workshop

Boiled daikon with egg tofu in dashi Peeling Daikon Grilled Salmon

I've always wondered what food workshops were like and I got to tag along to one as photographer for Spice mag on Monday. Good good good. Handy stuff from the kaiseki (Japanese gustation menu before gustation menus were around) chef at Yahachi. I never knew you should use the water from washing the rice when making dashi and salting fish like eggplant to draw out the fishy taste. We were treated to my favourite Japanese chef trick of shaving a long translucent strip of daikon with a knife. I'm sure if it had been the tearing a Minties wrapper competition he would have come in at 15 metres. I got to try all four courses of the various kaiseki menu items and enjoyed every last morsel. I'm inspired to tender daikon and crunchy lotus root. If that wasn't enough, each course was matched with sake from the Australian brewery of Go-shu. Very pleasing to the tongue and better than any imported one I've tasted here. My favourite one, the Go-shu Nama, happened to be their cheapest. How very fortunate. Apparently it's available at the Wembley Downs Shopping Centre (cue misty hazy memories) Liquor Store. We also got to try some Leaf (of Cottesloe and Mt Lawley) teas with a detailed explanation of each one reminding me of how ignorant I am in this area. Lapsang Souchong is now my smokey fave.

Yahachi's site is here and Comestibles has a few more workshops this month. If you're interested, I can email the details.

Perth Blog Awards

Kangaroo Steak Perth Blog Awards RODD

Wooh! Wednesday night at the Brass Monkey. After dining on a most tenderly cooked and deliciously seasoned with Szechuan pepper Kangaroo Fillet, I was fortunate enough to be the recipient of not one but two awards:

-Most Creative Blogger Currently Working in the Public Service
-Best Impersonation of a Giant Gnome

take that! Linus Pauling. And I was honoured to receive the RODD ancient knife of gnomic hammer and elfin tong. Legend has it, it will be used with all other trophies to serve at an afternoon tea, the likes of which can barely be imagined. Check out the others at the WA Blog Awards. More pics here.

Many thanks to Bret of Not The West for his organisations and as a shamefully late post for 3108 Blog Day, I would like to draw your attention to four new Perth blogs that have decided to enter into the fast paced and brutal world of food blogging:
-Cook & Eat
-An Electronic Restaurant by Masterchef "Noodle Cook"
-TeDAMENU Tuckertime Home
-chubby cat cooks
and because she's a fave and spreads the good word with Omnivoribus Australis, Saffy of The Food Palate

Encore Night at Jackson's Restaurant

service Vension chocolate ravioli

I was kindly let back into Jackson's kitchen again. Much more settled this time. I wasn't sweating when I got to the door. Advances were independent thinking when I prepped the veges in servings ready to go by myself without being asked; and multi-taskingin getting an order of veges out and deep fry 20 mini pappadums, albeit in laughable disarray. I also like to flatter myself that if I hadn't noticed a small piece of styrofoam in the fennel salad I was preparing, disaster may have resulted. It was impressive to see how intense things can become with just a slight change in orders. Most of the service seemed a rattle of dishes, table numbers and controlled frenzy. You could feel the calm settle as the list orders dwindled towards the end of the night. On my modest front, I practiced slow patient cutting work with asparagus and learnt the benefits of working tidy and the efficacy of a few bowls and containers. I helped make the white bread rolls and the chocolate ravioli, as well as reprising the gremolata, and not burning my hands with the sauces I had to organise into flasks. Lots of counting things which turned out to be surprisingly tricky. There was a date and apple cake for afternoon tea and steak and frittata for dinner. A Clam Pho for a snack. I got to lick the frypan of the scrambled eggs with Western Australian truffles and try lamb cooked in a mind bogglingly complex Moroccan spice mix. Tiramisu to finish. If they're wanting to be rid of me, they're going the wrong way about it.

In other news:
Host-for-life Jeanne hosts EoMEoTE again, I clain (clain?); Clement continues and may have finished with the mammoth series IMBB 17 - Tea at A La Cuisine!; and money raised in the City to Surf went to Oxfam - many thanks all.

Why hello Anne, that's a heck of a dress you're wearing.

44 Comments:

Blogger 2-minute Noodle Cook said...

LOL over the licking of frying pan! You must be one of a few who tasted real WA truffle...

9/04/2005 10:01:00 pm

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Figuratively licking of course, in case anyone was yucked out. They're hard to get and it was actually my first bit of truffle proper. I love mushrooms and was impressed by the intensity of the flavour. Let's hope for a large harvest.

9/04/2005 10:08:00 pm

 
Blogger deborah said...

Wow! You've been busy. GREAT pics from the Kaiseki workshop! Can't wait to see this new project.

Clam pho! Clam pho! Clam pho! I must know more... please!

Most of all congrats on the RODD. You deserve it mate!

T-ank u for the linkage. We have so many new peeps this month - yay!

9/05/2005 07:24:00 am

 
Blogger Anthony said...

I have Saffy, I have. The mag is out in November and the website should be up shortly to beforehand. I'm looking after the website and then plan is to make it a local food bulletin as well as an adjunct to the mag.


The clam Pho was just some fish stock, some herbs, and clams. Very lovely.

RODD!

No worries for the linkage - I suggest you get Karen Cheng to link to you, my site meter just went nuts.

9/05/2005 08:08:00 am

 
Blogger deborah said...

Went nuts? Cashew or almond?

Oh I think you've got the best job - online food journo - lovely.

I love Karen's website. But am too shy to ask :/

9/05/2005 08:12:00 am

 
Blogger Anthony said...

-scammel

-chickens hatch

-asking schmasking, never been able to do it myself, as with most things gifted trumps demanded

9/05/2005 08:57:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Forbidden Restaurant! Or should it be Return To The Forbidden Restuarant!

If Spice needs any more magazine savvy talent (modest, moi?) give 'em my number, okay?

9/05/2005 10:40:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh that was so ingracious of me, wasn't it?

A very good post, I must say.

9/05/2005 10:48:00 am

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Kate
Ingracious yes, I would never have coughed up the sci-fi movie reference until at least comment#12.

Expect a distressed teary call from a Spice magazine (yet-to) contributor asking you how you do it soon.

PS nice suggested title, I know when they start tellin me they're shut on Thursdays.

9/05/2005 11:09:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some writer I am: can't type, can't spell, can't use the English language correctly...

I'm on deadline this week so any teary calls will likely be met by a teary response.

9/05/2005 11:29:00 am

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Spelling is for the petty, typing is a substitute for writing, and the English language is far from a done deal.

I've got a half bottle of vodka, a third of rum, and two dozen bottles of wine (not counting the anniversary stash). You?

9/05/2005 11:36:00 am

 
Blogger Anthony said...

It's Forbidden Planet people.

9/05/2005 11:37:00 am

 
Blogger deborah said...

Nutty Fast.

I am now going to reveal just how unrefined I am... Lapsang Souchong
*Blech* You're right on the smokey... cigarette butt water. Hngh.

Otherwise, Clam Pho. Sounds divine.

9/05/2005 01:12:00 pm

 
Blogger Anthony said...

I'm a bit gimmicky when it comes to tea.

Pho was great, slurpy sounds filled the alleyway.

9/05/2005 02:08:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awwww devo , i liked slumping around down there at fight, fight, fight, there are alot of extreamly smart people up here and as my wonderful husband reminds me every day im definatly not the sharpest tool his ever had!!!!! so as u have already realised, i cant spell or type, and i hate big, words .

anyway its true about the guitar. and i didnt even use the jarrah beam to get it! lets just say im a VIP.......

9/05/2005 06:38:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

say no more!!!


munmous

9/06/2005 06:36:00 am

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Amonymous
We welcome all spelling and typing sinners here, come forwards to A week of Week.

"sharpest tool"
Fnar! Har!

So what kind of guitar is Casey's, we're big on details here, and do you need a lyricist?


Good Stuff Bret. I would have walked out rather than share my Gnome award.

9/06/2005 08:42:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wozza thinks, its a fake!!!
its not cause the people who gave it to me know,that if i find out that its a fake i will be using the jarrah support beam!!!!!!

there will be no facilitating,or mounting for wozza in the truck this harvest.........

9/06/2005 02:28:00 pm

 
Blogger Anthony said...

I think you should find a nice 70's house and use a fake Jarrah support beam.

Poor wozza

9/06/2005 03:37:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

its cofirmed, the guitar is fake.
ohh the pain, im devastated.....all that bragging i have done, ......

i used to go to the brass monkey!!

aloosermus

9/06/2005 06:41:00 pm

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Monny
Ahh a fake, what a shame. I mean it could have been worse and been a piano played by Delta Goodram.

You should go again, it's good.

PC
It was just yum. The egg coating was scrambled eggs run through a seive.

Thanks, there was some pretty tough competition on the gnome one.

9/06/2005 09:46:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

devo do we detect sarcasm in your typing!!!!!

we would have run over deltas piano with the deep ripper,

(fancy words compliments of the macquarie dictionary that wozza flung at me yesterday)

9/07/2005 09:04:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stay tuned mate, next week Elvis's underpants!
wozza

9/07/2005 12:06:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the two awards! Hope you had a smashing time. Also, ta muchly for the 3108 day shout out :D

Also, also, I'm very keen on the Kaiseki workshop. Could your email details please?

9/07/2005 12:46:00 pm

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Mony
Do it with the ripper and film it. Jeebus I'll even do the on-site catering.
Sarcasm wouldn't know the meaning of the word.

Wazza
It's funny you should mention that...

CC
Very welcome. I will get around to updating the blog roll one day too.
Just sent the details, the kaiseki one has passed but there are a few other good one's. When I get this website up and going hopefully we'll be able to keep people better informed about stuff like this

9/07/2005 06:40:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

gees!! my mum will be so proud, seeing her daughter fanging herself around a paddock in a deep ripper running over freeken deltas piano!!!

what is a rodd? and why did u win it?

9/07/2005 09:59:00 pm

 
Blogger Anthony said...

With gnomic hammer
and elfen tong
becomes a tale
becomes a song

And people tell
and people rhyme
of a talisman
from the mists of time

RODD
Trust not in man or in god
RODD


[to be continued]

9/07/2005 10:40:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

RODD

Rather
Odd
Daggy
Dude

RODD

tell me more?

9/08/2005 07:53:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

or perhaps

Randy
Old
Danish
Dude

9/08/2005 12:21:00 pm

 
Blogger Anthony said...

RODD

Was found in a mongosteen

RODD

With its silver sheen

RODD

It is bright and clean

RODD

9/09/2005 01:43:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

RODD

i will ask another time

RODD

although its a lovely rhyme

RODD

simply to explain

RODD

as its driving me insane


RODD

9/09/2005 08:17:00 am

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Those men inside my brain.

9/09/2005 05:20:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

?

9/09/2005 07:15:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

uummmm

9/09/2005 07:53:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what men

amenomus

9/13/2005 10:14:00 am

 
Blogger Anthony said...

These men

9/13/2005 01:53:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think you've been sniffin the Mr Sheen......we no comprehendo


r u saying im cheap

9/13/2005 02:25:00 pm

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Nooooooo

Go up four comments and click on the exclamation mark.

"driving me insane"

9/13/2005 02:44:00 pm

 
Blogger Anthony said...

The men inside my brain of course, not you guys who are being very entertaining.

9/13/2005 02:46:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha ha ha ha , got ya!!!
GOTCHA
THAT GOT YOU PACKING DIDNT IT, hahahahahahhaha..

thats wat ya get for messin with the girl from the bush!hahah

you blokes, your all the same, oh im laughing so hard i caN hardly type, oh i forgot i cant type anyway....

YOUVE MET YA MATCH BOY!!!
and aint it great

9/13/2005 05:23:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She got you a beauty mate!!!
be warned Devo, she is the Devil in disguise! And what a great disguise it is!! WOZZA

9/13/2005 05:42:00 pm

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Grrrrr

9/13/2005 09:50:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

still laughing, at 9.10

awww devo we think you is very sweet,
i mean come on usually its me everyone laughs at and thinks is a fucken freak, and wozza just reminded me that every time i open my mouth he usually runs for cover! god his a prick..anyway just as long as you know im one up! let the games begin.........

9/13/2005 10:14:00 pm

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Hey stuff upstairs.

9/14/2005 08:28:00 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home