<$BlogRSDUrl$>

gustus elementa per omnia quaerunt

Sunday, October 24, 2004

IMBB9 Beef, Guinness, and Lamb Terrine



Never made a terrine before and I think it has something to do with the reason I don't make many cakes, the intrinsic fussiness of presentation. On the plus side, the variety of possible ingredients allows a large range of thematic interpretations. I had considered doing one that resembled the layers of the earth but decided that I'd make an Irish one for an Irish friend's 30th and work over an old favourite. The party was postponed a week but the terrine went on.

To tell the truth, I can't be arsed writing everything down but here's a sketch - if you want more details, you know where to find me.

Beef and Guiness Stew as here but without the spuds and the addition of the aromatics - leek (ermm Celtic heritage), carrots and celery. No red wine (not irish) or beef stock (didn't want to use commercial stock).

The spuds were to make their own layer and were thinly sliced and steamed above the bubbling stock above. The idea was the fumes would infuse into the potatoes like damp smoke. Did it work? Exceeeeeeeeeeeedingly subtle.

Lamb and Kidneys
Oven roasted slowly and moistened with the above stock. Shredded when done.

Aspic
French jiggery pokery that I couldn't really see the point of but when Le Cordon Blue at Home says do it, then you do it. The stew was strained and the beef shredded and the stock returned with a new round of aromatics and egge whites that were to capture rogue impurities. Strained after half and hour and still bits, so it was all twice strained through a tea towel. Reheated later with 1 tbs of gelatine.

Assembly
Had a great plan to pipe a mashed potato Celtic design but this was downgraded to the famous and much toasted, I'm sure, Ley Line Following Potato Circles of County Cork with a green, sweated-in-butter leek background. Then the lamb and kidney, a layer of potatoes, and then the beef, and filled with aspic (barely enough).

Eating
Taken over for Sunday arvo beers. I was impressed with the dots against the green even thought they'd somewhat randomised. Carving was a disaster and I think it may have called for some kind of drop saw or high tech laser. THIS WAS NOT HOW IT WAS MEANT TO BE. The taste, fine but not knock your socks off, maybe a few veal bones in the soup may have helped. Enjoyable. yep that's it. Looked at the residual pile of meat and jelly and it made me not think of the Emerald Isles but Pal. Presentation - pah!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

not sure about the terrine, but, the chicken looks pretty decent. Nice blog.

Nigel

ExperimentNumber626

10/25/2004 11:33:00 am

 
Blogger Jeanne said...

All I can say is that you are a braver cook than I!! Full marks for culinary adventurousness & the leek ley line. We must be on the same wavelength 'cos I made beef in Guinness stew for the main course of my lunch party yesterday where the terrine was the starter...

10/25/2004 05:44:00 pm

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Nigel, thanks. Chicken? Oh yeah below, and it was 83% easier to make, and 26% tastier. Now if it's exercise you're after. You may be in luck.

Manas,
Adventure is foolishness made legit. It was kind of a traditional inclusion as offal makes its home in many a terrine. Just imagine they're mushrooms. Aspic is stock jelly for fancy folks. Actually it's a bit trickier because I wouldn't bother to clarify a stock.

Jeanne
See above. Actual Beef in Guiness stew is 75% tastier and may have been a better choice and just made a peanut butter and jelly terrine. It's that internet spooky coincidence again and possibly ley lines.

10/25/2004 06:09:00 pm

 
Blogger Zoe said...

First terrine I was made was bland as buggery and looked shite, but I am now Mistress of the Terrine. Best recipe is from Gourmet Traveller Jan 2004 (which I'm guessing you have, but I can email it if you're keen).

And IMHO Green aspic is just going too far. This may be a reaction to the lurid food favoured by toddlers.

10/25/2004 07:26:00 pm

 
Blogger chika said...

Hi Anthony

And the terrine irlandaise was washed down with a Guinness or two (or three or four)?

10/25/2004 08:04:00 pm

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Zoe
The Queen of Terrine. Very jealous of your mistressery and I'm still going moony eyed over the nice terrines. I think we learn, my next one will be as tough as Sicaflex and blow people's heads off. I don't get Gourmet Traveller as all the pocket pissing does my head in but I do like the recipes - could you be a good 'un and send the recipe.

The aspic was a nice amber guiness colour, the green came from the leek underneath not lurid toddly colours.

10/25/2004 08:08:00 pm

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Chika
Arrrrgh I confess, the beer in the background is not Guinness at all but a Macs Coppertop or something that was used as a stand-in. Sunday is fridge clean out day for me and I think I had about 5 different beers, none Irish. Tsk Tsk.

10/25/2004 08:13:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home