<$BlogRSDUrl$>

gustus elementa per omnia quaerunt

Sunday, October 24, 2004

Tabletop BBQ Chicken Satay and Gado Gado



A pleasantly calm and warm spring evening had my sister and brother-in-law over for a BBQ. Feeling low maintenancy after discovering why I never make terrines, I thought I could give my charcoal burner a go and sit around and have some satay chicken. Still impressed by the Melbourne Gado Gado I was made, I thought I'd have that too.

I was going to just have bought sauce but I found this recipe on the net and the writer shamed me by regarding even using peanut butter as a "so-called shortcut". Bastard. There are bits of peanut everywhere now but it was good. Pretty much as the recipe says but one lime instead of lemon and sambal olek instead of the chilli powder and shrimp paste.

Chicken Satay
3 Free range chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces with the following marinade one small onion, knob of ginger, 4 garlic cloves - finely grated; juice of one lemon; 2tsp sambal olek; 2tbs brown sugar; and
1/3 cup of soy sauce
. Served with a sauce of equal parts Hogan's Satay Sauce and a small can of coconut cream simmered for 8 minutes.

Sat around the table and cooked the satay sticks and ate the gado gado with rice and then moved on to some top notch beef and bacon and then chicken kebabs made by Jean. Finished with a bottle of Krinklewood 2002 Botrytis and a rowdy game of Pop-Up Pirate.

10 Comments:

Blogger Anthony said...

Phew, you were lurking over my shoulder in my imagination while preparing it. The little charcola burner is great, we had one from Japan that feel to bits in the rain and then I found this at an Asian grocery store. A mere $20 or so. Very relaxed way of eating,

10/24/2004 09:47:00 pm

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Yum. The lemon grass sticks would have the added advantage of not catching on fire (sokaing or nay).

The little charcoal burners are pretty good and encourage a grazier style of dinner.

10/25/2004 10:51:00 am

 
Blogger FXH said...

wouldn't "grazier style" of eating be a huge yearling beef roast with side dishes of a couple of two tooth and at least one pig?

10/25/2004 11:04:00 am

 
Blogger Reid said...

Hi Anthony,

I like the table top charcoal grill that you've got there. Now I think I'm going to look for one too. Although I really don't think I'd enjoy the apartment smelling of burnt wood/charcoal.

I haven't been able to get a good sate here yet, but the closest thing that I've found to it is the Cambodian sach ang. Nicely char-grilled with lots of burnt bits...tasty dipping sauce too!

Now as for gado gado, I made it a while back based on recipe that I had. The dressing was really good, but I cheated and made it using crunchy peanut butter. Since then, I've made it again using crushed peanuts, but it didn't come out as smooth as I would have liked.

10/25/2004 11:25:00 am

 
Blogger Anthony said...

FX. Good point. That should be grazier adj rather than very tempting CWA Cookbook clearing sale meatravaganza. Did you do thise ribs?

Reid. No balcony? O/W remove batteries on fire alarm beforehand. I used a blender for my peanuts and found it pretty rubbish really, Must get a food processor or one of those volcanic apostrophe pestle's Anthony's got.

10/25/2004 06:59:00 pm

 
Blogger FXH said...

aah the ribs.

I bought a bunch of true american spare ribs from the Vietnamese butcher, they have a couple of varieties of Chinese spare ribs too. Funnily only the Viet butchers seem to have good american ribs.

I whacked em in the fridge. Promptly got sick. Spent a day or two in bed. Forgot about ribs.

Other householders asked about "that funny smell" for a few days. Eventually someone found the ribs in the meat tray. phwoooooaaah!! Tossed 'em over the fence to the neighbours rotty. He loved 'em.

10/25/2004 07:36:00 pm

 
Blogger FXH said...

re charcoal burner. I don't want to be the one to put the mocka on it but: In Japan.... Thirty-four people died in group suicides last year, with 16 this year. Two young women who died this week were among four involved in a pact that failed last week after police intervened.

Charcoal burning stoves, discussed in a lot of the chat-room messages, have featured in many of the group suicides.

10/25/2004 07:41:00 pm

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Ahh what a shame with the ribs, You don't think maybe it's a colonial legacy like the Vietnamese bakeries. My first exposure to ribs was an episode of MASH and that was really about Vietnam (/wild sociohistoric guessing)

I did hear about those suicides. Very very odd and the tragedy as you thought these lonely folks might have, having met up, had some fun instead. (resists urge to make comment regarding collective nature of Japanese society)

10/25/2004 08:08:00 pm

 
Blogger FXH said...

I never really watched MASH but afaik its about Korea War.

10/26/2004 11:28:00 am

 
Blogger Anthony said...

yep yep yep but really about as in it's about Korea but nudge nudge etc.

10/26/2004 11:44:00 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home