<$BlogRSDUrl$>

gustus elementa per omnia quaerunt

Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Cream, marmalade and pancake cake



Saturday. Getting behind here, "post" is starting to synch with its original form.

Thought the league game between NZ and the Pacific was as good a game in any form I've seen for a long time. So what do you do after a rugby game and a few pints at JB O'Rielly's - make a cake. I think my rationale at the time was that if I could impress myself in the past with a fried egg toasted sandwich, with this, I'd be practically walking down the aisle with myself.

I've made this before, but couldn't find the recipe anywhere so I worked off memory and the ingredients I had.

Crepes
wholemeal flour, milk, eggs, melted butter, buttermilk

Cream
King Island double cream, bit of icing sugar and a splash of vanilla essence -beaten

Plus
Grapefruit Marmalade

Pretty easy really, just make a stack of pancakes and then butter a spring-form cake tin. Crepe, marmalade, crepe, cream, marmalade....until you run out of crepes. Leave in the fridge.

Topped with a glaze of the juice of one orange and equal parts sugar heated in a pan. The glaze either ran down the sides or was soaked up by the top crepe. More work needed here.

Didn't look the best but it was very adult. Not your candy craving kiddy cake but very sour with the wholemeal being very textured. Paired well with a scoop of chocolate.ice-cream and a '99 bottle of Vasse Felix my hosts had hauled out of the cellar.

BTW Does this thing have a proper name?

4 Comments:

Blogger santos. said...

crepe cake: palatschinken? palacsinta?

7/13/2004 11:19:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Say, you *are* bringing one of these on Wednesday, right?



~Mark
http://twistedhamster.net/

7/15/2004 09:10:00 pm

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Ahmm erm may be making my apologies as I'll be down in Augusta as close to a log fire as I can get. Next month I'll bring TWO cakes!

7/17/2004 07:52:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what the fuck

2/28/2006 05:25:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home