<$BlogRSDUrl$>

gustus elementa per omnia quaerunt

Monday, December 22, 2003

Ze Arc of Iris - Margaret River

I don't know any intersting cafes in Perth, I mean there are nice ones which fit in well with the current boom in good taste interiors or faux funky but I'd be hard pressed to remember a couple of details about any of their interiors. There is, or was, a place I remember great detail and that was the Oxford Street Cafe. Filled with junk shop furniture with local art on the walls and electric beaters that had been changed into aeroplanes, it was closed down 13 years ago and replaced by a Mediterranean piece of shit with a fountain in the middle and the black apron, white shirt crowd. The French owner, Pascal, vanished, no doubt to hang himself with a bedsheet.

Flash forward to the weekend and I walk into a restaurant with a new French owner in Maragret River and it was him. I'd recommend it for this reason alone but the food is good. The menu is relatively limited but I lived in a country where restuarants have menus with 2 mains on it.

Starter was the venison (local) chorizo and deepfried whitebait with garlic aoli. Both were great and the batter was nice 'n crispy on the whitebait.

Mains was marinated lamb Fajitas with tomatoes and white beans. Self assembly and very very good.

All on the pricey side of north of twenty per main but it's BYO so I rationalised on being in front there.

Visit now if in Margaret River before it gets replaced by more mediocre crap and jesus lets hope it's not by the incompetents at the cafe in Prevally. An hour for breakfast and they could at least apologise on top of spilling my coffee and walking off for me to clean it. Ah off for a deep breath.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home