<$BlogRSDUrl$>

gustus elementa per omnia quaerunt

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Bring the Noise (and a curry)

curry buffet

Friday bring-a-curry dinner for six. Rude amounts of food, if we'd ended up having the naan bread as well, we would have come close to meeting the entire calorific consumption of Bangladesh for 1973. Bloody marvellous with each dish having the full attention of each maker so there was no can't-be-arsed fade off for dishes four and five. I made a Charmaine Solomon curried duck with potatoes and cabbage (I subbed the cabbage for silverbeet leaves for a bit more oomph) as well as a mint and spring onion chutney and half a litre of cucumber raita - bringing the total up to 1.5 litres. Strategy of eating a bit, waiting, and going back later, proved most successful in making a dent in it all. Passing the time was our host's very good idea of everybody bringing a CD with their ten favourite songs on it, loading them all up, and then putting it all on random. Guess the person's song was fun and it there's much pleasure in listening to music that's outside your regular tastes but carefully chosen and an education. There was no Jive Bunny, nor were there 60 Pixies songs.
Dire Straits appeared and that was AOK by me. Verse/Chorus/Verse/Chorus proved rarer towards the end of the evening in favour of fade out/in/out and through composed bits of Eighty's epicdom. No fights either. Something very Rawlsian about it but I'm not sure what. Not an easy thing to pick 10 and I ended up with an undecisive set with a few hybrid songs to fill a few gaps and round it out a bit.
My eventual top 10 were AC/DC-Ballroom Blitz; Groove Armada - I See You Baby; Shake - Kristin Hersh;
Sonic Youth- Kool Thing ; Queens of the Stone Age - First it Giveth ; Butthole Surfers - Sea Ferring; The Stooges - I Wanna Be Your Dog; Pixies - Here Comes Your Man; Anthrax and Public Enemy - Bring the Noise; Matthew Sweet - Evangeline.
No arguing.

eating

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That spread of food looks so ridiculously inviting it's not fair! Sounds like a great idea.
How did the Charmaine Solomon recipe turn out? I'm a big CS (and Dire Straits) fan but haven't tried this one; sounds good though!

5/07/2006 08:18:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny! We had a curry night just the other night. I like the bring a song idea, might steal it. I made a whole roast tandoori chicken cut up chinese style. Was quite tasty. Other curries represented(make the Ali G sign) were Japanese beef curry, chickpea curry, butter chicken, lamb rogan josh, D's special curry in HOT. Yummy all round. Also home made naan on the pizza stone.

What other curries did you have?

5/07/2006 08:28:00 am

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Hi Ed
When we saw it all we thought we should have invited a couple more folks.
The Charmaine recipe was nice though the sauce could have been thickened up a bit and the potato cooking time was a bit ambitious. The mint chutney really great though.
The Dire Straits song made me laugh because I had a friend in High School who showed the lyrics to and tried to pass it off as his original poem with the name Juliette changed to someone else.

Sue
Morphic resonance. Steal away, it's a very nice idea. As I was chopping up the duck I was thinking about how effortlessly they do it at Chinese BBQ place in town. Nice range of stuff there.
We had the duck curry, a hot prawn curry, a beef curry, a dahl, a ricotta and pea curry, giant samosas, and parathas. That's all I think.

5/07/2006 08:14:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what an amazing blog. I have, tonight, discovered a universe of food blogs and beautiful arty pictures.

I love here comes your man and i LOVE matthew sweet. You're so COOL

5/08/2006 06:36:00 am

 
Blogger Ange said...

Love a good curry night, have hosted a few myself where I cook curry for 3 days beforehand to get it all done - think the bring a curry would be much easier next time!

5/08/2006 08:49:00 am

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Hi Knitmeister
Ah pshaw - a minor satellite in a remote corner of the galaxy. But thanks.

Since we both like the same songs, we're both cool, let's just bask for a moment.

Ange
I think the lesson for us is sometimes we just have to let goand trust our friends.

5/08/2006 04:08:00 pm

 
Blogger Reid said...

Hi Anthony,

I honestly don't know anyone that listens to Sonic Youth anymore. I really enjoyed Goo, but probably like EVOL better. The Velvet Underground would probably make my top 10 as well.

Did you prepare all that food yourself?

5/08/2006 06:27:00 pm

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Reid
Actually neither do. Maybe we're the last surviving Sonic Youth fans
EVOL is your pretty hardcore Youth right there. Goo's for dancing. Dirty for the car. Daydream Nation for thoughtful bottle of red wine moment. Washing Machine for jesus was it really put out 10 years ago?

VU missed out by a bee's dick of getting in with Waiting for My Man - which one were you thinking?

I think I prepared a mere 20% of the dishes and it was a good thing.

5/08/2006 07:38:00 pm

 
Blogger Reid said...

Hi Anthony,

One of my favorites is I'll Be Your Mirror (with Nico).

5/10/2006 06:17:00 pm

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Lovely choice there Reid

5/11/2006 06:12:00 pm

 
Blogger santos. said...

are you kidding me with the "no one listens to sonic youth anymore" business? i can't even begin to comment on that.

my top ten has gone dark, in mourning for grant mclennan. i can't even begin to express my profound sadness at the end of the go-betweens as i knew it.

5/12/2006 02:14:00 am

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Well we've just conclusively proved that me and Reid do, how about you Santos.

Yes Grant McLennan. 48 is no age to be dying, it's like when Dave McComb of the Triffieds passed away at 37. Now I feel guilty Right Here got bumped for Kristin Hersh.

The story ishere.

5/12/2006 08:01:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like the new Sonic Youth song. So That would be three or four of us by now, surely?

However, I don't own a single Go-Betweens album.

5/12/2006 08:05:00 am

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Hmmm must listen. Noisy Youth or Rocky Youth?

No Go-Betweens? We'll soon fix that. Actually Australia is pretty sucky about it's musical heritage. Probably hence it's current sucky musical situation.

5/12/2006 08:17:00 am

 
Blogger Reid said...

Hi Anthony,

The Go-Betweens were cool. I remember buying "Liberty Belle..." when "Head Full of Steam" first came out. It was playing on one of the indie radio stations here (in fact, I think it was the local University radio station). I think the Throwing Muses started off then as did Jesus and Mary Chain.

5/12/2006 01:21:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

any elvis?

5/13/2006 03:08:00 pm

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Reid
I think we'd have a very amicable road trip.

Anon
Elvis' "Bridge Over Troubled Water" is my secret delight.

5/13/2006 08:08:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey did elvis sing that song?
i remememeber when a bloke called simon garfukel sung it,i never knew elvis did.elvis is cool.i knew yu would like him your kinda cool too.

5/13/2006 08:17:00 pm

 
Blogger Reid said...

Hi Anthony,

We might even get along better if you like the Cramps!

5/15/2006 10:25:00 am

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Well as a matter of fact I do!

5/16/2006 01:27:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home