<$BlogRSDUrl$>

gustus elementa per omnia quaerunt

Monday, March 14, 2005

Sunday Tapas

enjospreadNick: I asked Tres if I could get a hovercraft.
Me: and she said yes?
Nick: She said no.
Me: Bummer. That's harsh.

Enjo. If that rings no bells then you haven't quite surrendered as completely to the inescapable pull of suburban bourgeoisification as I have. Having been somewhat more the indulgee in our relationship, I found it hard to refuse Toni's decision to host a home sales party thingy and offered to be in charge of light refreshments.

Mediterranean cultures have finger food nailed so I went with a tapas theme. If you have a look at the pic from top to bottom you'll see... toasted pita bread; hummus with pine nuts; roma tomatoes with EVOO, basil, maldon sea salt, and pepper; lightly toasted baguette; pesto; pan fired haloumi; olives; chorizo in red wine; proscioutto, coppa, and home made aioli; and $3 Mount Barker Red Cross wine chiller with freezer inserts.

It looks like a lot but it isn't. The magic hassle-free combo secret is a couple of quick hot dishes, a couple prepared earliers, and a few purchases. Left me with mucho time to have few beers out back with Greg and Holly while the guests watched a shower screen being decalcified in the bathroom and oggled my Blue Stratos After-shave and Mandom Moisture Cream.

You can find the Chorizo in Red Wine recipe way back here. The aioli is here but I'd add the recommendation to stream in the olive oil while stirring, rather than using a blender, it prevents it going bitter. The hummus requires a little explanation. Soak the dried chick peas overnight the place them in a ovenproof dish with an inch of water to cover. Put the lid on and cook in 180C oven for an hour or so. Pureed about 5 cups of chick peas with three garlic cloves . And a few tablespoons of roasted pine nuts and sesame seeds (in a dry frypan, mind they don't burn). Grind a handful of parsley with enough EVOO to moisten and add that. Stream in 3/4 cup of combined lemon juice and EVOO, stirring. Season with pepper and, because it wasn't quite there, I added a few drops of tabasco. Great warm, served with toasty pita bread.

Toni got the hostie present of those yellow moppie things and I got to jump start a bearded guy's chopper with my Volvo. And just to clarify, dry sherry is not a wino's drink, it's a much underrated aperitif. So there.

5 Comments:

Blogger Avatar said...

That's it. I'm moving in. You can't stop me. (Unless you stop cooking, that is.)

3/15/2005 06:39:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmm finger food and cleaning products perfect match.

3/15/2005 10:05:00 am

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Avatar

Hey sure, until I get the ramen stand going, then Reid gets the spare room. And you'll have to keep the noise down yeah. ; )

Crafty
If you've seen an oil-splattered, crumb-covered, dish-filled kitchen after I've just been in it, you'll know that food and cleaning products are strawberries and cream for me.

3/15/2005 11:07:00 am

 
Blogger Mike said...

What is EVOO ?

3/20/2005 03:45:00 pm

 
Blogger Anthony said...

Hello sorry for the dealy in answering, wish blogger had one of those "recent comments" functions.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil, I know a bit foodie pretentious but if you saw me type.

3/24/2005 11:44:00 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home